Resetting an air conditioner is an easy method to reboot the system at the time of trouble. In a power outage scenario, your AC unit may not work to its full potential due to the protection circuit breaker that prevents fires and explosions. Another thing to consider is a reset for your AC unit if it fails to blow cool air according to your requirements.
Resetting an AC unit might be confusing and tiresome but don’t worry if you follow the appropriate procedure; it can be quick and easy.
Following is a common step-by-step guide on how to reset the AC system using a reset button –
- First, try to find a reset button. Most of the AC units have a reset button fixated on them for easy reset. It’s usually a small red button. If you cannot find the reset button, consult your AC’s manual to locate the reset button.
- Then, unplug the AC unit from the wall for a minimum of 15 seconds, then plug it back in.
- Further, press the reset button for three seconds and release. If the unit doesn’t start, repeat this step.
- If it still doesn’t work, then locate your circuit breaker panel and try to flip the one which is connected to the AC unit. Your AC unit might have started until now; if not, then consult a professional.
If your AC unit doesn’t have a reset button, follow the steps given below –
- If a reset button is absent, then in such units, a manual reset is required. First, you need to find the power shut-off near the outdoor compressor unit and flip it from on to off.
- Further, you have to locate a 240-volt circuit. This is situated in the primary electrical panel inside your home. Switch the circuit off.
- Ensure that all power is removed from your unit and unplug it from the power supply board.
- Switch off the unit for a minimum of 20 – 30 minutes to dissipate the charge out of the unit. You need to leave the unit unplugged.
- After waiting for an appropriate time, set the AC unit to “cool” and again plug the unit back into the power supply. Switch on the 240-volt circuit and switch on the power shut off near the compressor. Remember, it’s important to follow the steps in the given order as you are just working backwards from turning it off the first time.
It is important to learn how to reset an AC unit as it stabilizes the air conditioning system and resolves trivial AC unit issues. If you notice that resetting your AC unit has not fixed the problem that you were experiencing with your AC unit, then contact a professional at the earliest. Woods Family Heating and Air Conditioning are experts that offer quality air conditioning Roanoke VA. Your AC unit is one of the premium appliances that functions daily, so it’s better to ask for expert help. To know more contact (540)-992-3944.